Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Before the Throne of God Above

BEFORE THE THRONE OF GOD ABOVE
Before the throne of God above
I have a high and perfect plea
A great high priest whose name is love
Who ever lives and pleads for me
My name graven on His hands
My name written on His heart
I know that while in heaven He stands
No tongue can bid me thence depart
When Satan tempts me to despair
And tells me of the guilt within
Upward I look and see Him there
Who made an end to all my sin
Because sinless Savior died
My sinful soul is counted free
For God the Just is satisfied
To look on Him and pardon me
Hallejulah, hallejulah!
Praise the one, the risen Son of God
Behold Him there the risen lamb
My perfect, spotless righteousness
The great unchangeable I Am
The King of glory and of grace
One with himself I cannot die
My soul is purchased by His blood
My life is hid with Christ on high
With Christ my Savior and my God
Hallelujah, Hallelujah!
Praise the one, the risen Son of God
When I hear this song and read the lyrics, it gives me chills. It tells so eloquently and yet so simply our position in Christ. My favorite verse is: "Because the sinless Savior died, my sinful soul is counted free. For God the Just is satisfied to look on Him and pardon me." It's simple, and yet so profound. As Christians, we need to remind ourselves of the gospel regularly. I was reminded of this again and again last year, though books I read and sermons I listened to. And yet, every time I heard it, I needed to hear it again. It seems strange the the cornerstone of Christianity can be overlooked so easily, and yet it is. We think that we know the gospel and so instead of dwelling on it every day, we start working on being good Christians by crossing our t's and dotting out i's. Too soon we forget why we're doing what we're doing. The simple truth is this: you cannot think of the gospel too much; it is the essence of Christianity. The other reason I like this song is because of the hallelujah part. You hear the words, you realize once again what Christ did, and your heart overflows with gratitude. And then the song switches from theology to praise, right at the perfect moment. It's beautiful.
I challenge you: Sit down and think about the gospel today. And tomorrow. And thank God for what He's done for you. You won't regret it.

1 comment:

  1. We used this song during our wedding, as Stephen and I took communion together. Check our Chris Rice's version. It is lovely.

    Tess :-)

    ReplyDelete